To pair your UA Connected Footwear to your phone, please first verify that you have purchased the correct pair of shoes. At this time, several different shoe models contain the technology required to connect your shoes to your app. To be certain that you purchased the correct model, check for a Bluetooth # on the inside of the tongue of the right shoe. To learn more, check out the UA website.
Once you have confirmed your shoes are equipped with a Bluetooth sensor, please review the following to ensure a successful pairing:
- Download and install the latest version of MapMyRun, MapMyWalk, MapMyRide, or MapMyFitness. If you already have a MapMy app installed, please double-check the iTunes App Store or Google Play Store for an upgrade before pairing your shoes.
- Log in or create an account with MapMy. Open the app and either create a new account by pressing "Join Now," or log in using your email and password.
Once you've logged into the app, the default page is the "Track Workout" screen. From here, tap the shoe icon in the top right corner of the screen.
If you have not paired any other UA Connected Footwear, tap "Connect Now" to continue.
If you have paired UA Connected Footwear before, your shoes will appear here, even if they are now retired. To set up a new pair of shoes, tap the + icon in the upper right, then tap the "Connect Now" button from the screenshot above.
Next, the app will instruct you to set your right shoe on a flat surface for 5 seconds. This is preferable to wearing the shoes during the initial setup. After 5 seconds, tap "Search for Shoes" to begin the Bluetooth scan for your footwear.
Follow the onscreen prompt to gently tap or move your right shoe to wake up the sensor. This allows it to be discoverable by the app.
After your shoes connect, tap "Continue" to advance to a mandatory firmware update.
Troubleshooting Connection Issues
If your shoes are not detected, on-screen prompts will guide you through troubleshooting tips to help get your shoes paired. Tap "Get Started" to begin.
If your shoes still won't connect, try the following:
- Force quit the MapMy application
- From your phone's Settings, toggle Bluetooth off and then on again (note: for iOS users, do not do this by swiping up on your iPhone to access the control center. Please visit your phone's Settings app and toggle Bluetooth off/on from there)
- While in your phone's Bluetooth setting, check to see if "UA Footpod" is listed under "Paired Devices." If present, tap to forget the shoes from your list of remembered devices.
4. For Android users, check your phone's settings to make sure Location Services are enabled and permissions granted for the MapMy app. To verify, please go to your phone's Settings app > Location > Enable. Then navigate to your phone's Application Manager setting> MapMyRun > Permissions > Location > Enabled. If the location isn't enabled in both places, your shoes will not be found in the scanning process.
5. Re-open the MapMy app and re-initiate pairing. Try setting the right shoe flat for 5 seconds, turning it upside down so the sole of the shoe is facing up for 5 seconds, then returning it to an upright position to awaken the sensor.
If you're still having issues with connection, let us know by submitting a support ticket within the app. Requests submitted in-app contain additional information that can help our engineers to diagnose your issue. To submit a request, open your MapMy app > navigate to the app's menu > scroll to the bottom and select "Help" > tap "Contact Support " > describe the issue and submit. One of our agents will be in touch with you shortly!
Mandatory Firmware Update
Once you've established a connection with your shoes, the app will prompt you to perform a firmware update. This update is mandatory and should be completed before working out with the shoes. It should take between 1 to 5 minutes to complete. To begin the firmware update, tap "Continue."
Important tips for a successful firmware update:
- Keep your phone and shoe close together (less than 12 inches apart)
- Keep the app in the foreground on your phone (in other words, do not navigate away to another app during the update)
- Make sure your phone has a strong WiFi connection
If the firmware update fails, double-check the tips above and then tap "Retry" to immediately reattempt the update.
If you're still having issues with completing the update, let us know by submitting a support ticket within the app. Requests submitted in-app contain additional information that can help our engineers to diagnose your issue. To submit a request, open your MapMy app > navigate to the app's menu > scroll to the bottom and select "Help" > tap "Contact Support " > describe the issue and submit. One of our agents will be in touch with you shortly!
Running with Connected Footwear
Once you’ve paired your shoes and updated the firmware, you are now ready to record a workout! To learn more about recording workouts with your UA Connected Footwear, check out:
Yes, the shoes are compatible with the latest versions of all MapMy apps, including MapMyFitness, MapMyWalk, MapMyRide, and MapMyHike. The shoes are not compatible with UA Record, MyFitnessPal, or Endomondo at this time.
As soon as you pair your UA Connected Footwear to your MapMy application, MVP features, such as Live Tracking and Coaching, should be unlocked within the app. To learn more about what features are included with MVP, check out the linked Help Center article.
Will I have to charge the battery?
No. The battery is optimized to outlive the shoe and is not replaceable.
What is the lifespan of these shoes?
While the lifespan of any pair of shoes differs based on intensity level and type of activity, we warranty the shoes for up to 1 year after purchase. Footwear connectivity to MapMyRun will end on March 31, 2025.
Are the shoes waterproof?
The shoes' sensor is fully embedded and secured in a leak-proof casing, so the technology is not susceptible to damage from running in the rain or through puddles and snowy/icy surfaces. You can wash your shoes in the washing machine.
If you have any other questions, please submit a support request and one of our agents will be in touch soon.