Below are a few instructions to help guide you through connecting your Bluetooth device. For Android devices, OS version 5.0 is the minimum requirement for the app and for iOS, the device must be operating on iOS 10 or later in order to function properly. Devices will not connect if you do not have these prerequisites.
The instructions below explain the process for connecting a heart rate monitor specifically. The same steps apply for other sensors with the exception of moistening electrodes for chest heart rate straps. After recording a workout with heart rate data or other sensor information, it will appear on the app and website workout summary for that activity.
Step 1. Enable your phone's Bluetooth
Go to your device's General Settings > Bluetooth. Turn Bluetooth ON. Do not attempt to pair from this screen.
Step 2. Enter device pairing mode.
- If using a chest strap, moisten the oval sensor pads on the heart rate monitor. Put the heart rate strap on, with the plastic heart rate transmitter resting just below your sternum. Ladies, this should rest just below a sports bra. For most other Bluetooth Smart sensor connection this step is omitted, but you'll still need to enter pairing mode.
- Often sensors allow you to enter pairing mode by turning the sensor completely off, then by turning it back on and holding the power button. Newer sensors with displays and user interfaces will sometimes have an option to enter pairing mode or turn on Bluetooth from the device menu itself.
Step 3. Open MapMy and tap the "More" icon in the lower right (iOS), or the three horizontal bars in the upper left (Android), to open the app's Menu. From the Menu, tap "Connect Apps & Devices." From here, scroll all the way down to view workout devices.
Step 4. Select your Bluetooth Sensor. After selecting your device, a connect screen will appear. If you're connecting a heart rate monitor, MAKE SURE that your heart rate strap is being worn and that the sensor pads are moist and in contact with your chest before tapping ‘Connect.’ Once the connection has been made, you will be able to see the stats your device is reading on the display screen.
Step 5. Next, turn on Auto-connect to ensure Bluetooth Smart devices remain connected for the entirety of your activity, as well as when you re-open the app in the future.
Step 6. Once heart rate is visible, return to the "Track Workout" screen and tap "Start Workout." You'll be able to tell your device is connected by the sensor icons for either heart rate, speed, cadence, etc. If you want to change your display stats, you can customize your stats.
Step 7. After ending your workout, you will see averages of your connected device stats. For further analysis of these numbers, make sure you have an MVP Membership.
Troubleshooting Your Bluetooth/ANT+ Device
If you've followed the instructions above and are still unable to get your device to connect, please try the following:
- Restart your phone (and the sensor itself, if possible) and retry the above pairing steps. Often this step should fix any problems with your phones miscommunication to the Bluetooth frequency and allow the sensor to be picked up.
- Delete and reinstall the app from the app store, which will both ensure you're using the latest version and should clear any temporary files and cache that may have caused this problem.
- Check the strength of your device's battery to see if it is low or dead. CR2032 coin cell batteries tend to last between three and six months of normal use (1hr per day), but the battery can be drained more quickly if the device accidentally enters pairing mode when not in use.
- For iOS users, ensure MapMy has access to your location and background functionality.
If you're still having issues, please submit a support ticket here and one of our agents will be in touch soon!