Setting Up UA Connected Footwear
In order to pair your UA Connected Footwear to your phone, please confirm the following:
- First, please verify that you have purchased the correct pair of shoes. At this time, there are several different shoe models that contain the technology required to connect your shoes to your app. To be certain that you purchased UA Connected Footwear, check for a Bluetooth # on the inside of the tongue of the right shoe. To learn more, check out the UA website.
- Make sure your phone's Bluetooth is enabled. To do so, navigate to your phone's general settings > Bluetooth > Enable, but DO NOT TRY TO CONNECT TO YOUR FOOTWEAR FROM BLUETOOTH SETTINGS. This will result in errors when trying to pair through the app.
- For Android users, Location Services must be enabled and you must grant MapMy location permissions. To do so, open your phone's Settings > Location > Enabled. Additionally, visit Settings > Application Manager > MapMyRun > Permissions > Location > Enabled. If location isn't enabled in both places, BLE won't return anything in the scan for your shoes.
- Download and install the latest version of MapMyRun, MapMyWalk, MapMyRide, MapMyHike, or MapMyFitness. If you already have a MapMy app installed, please double-check the iTunes App Store or Google Play Store for an upgrade prior to pairing your shoes.
- Log in or create an account with MapMy. Open the app and either create a new account by pressing "Join Now," or log in using your email and password.
Once you've logged into the app, the default page is the "Track Workout" screen. From here, tap the shoe icon in the top right corner of the screen.
If you've never connected any UA Connected Footwear before, tap "Let's Get Started" to continue.
If you have paired UA Connected Footwear before, your shoes will appear here, even if they're retired. To setup a new pair of shoes, tap the + icon in the upper right, then tap the "Let's Get Started" icon from above.
Next, the app will instruct you to set your right shoe on a flat surface nearby and let it sit for 5 seconds. This is preferable to wearing the shoes during the initial connection flow. Please also make sure that you are at least 20 feet from other active Bluetooth devices (including other smart shoes). After connecting for the first time, proximity to another runner with UA Connected Footwear will not be an issue. Once you are ready, tap "Search for Shoes" to begin the Bluetooth scan for your shoes.
Follow the onscreen prompt to gently shake your right shoe for about 5 seconds to wake up the sensor. This allows it to be discoverable by the app. Be sure not to hold the shoe vertically and shake it, as this will put the sensor back to sleep for 5 minutes. Keep the shoe parallel with the ground.
After your shoes connect, tap "Continue." Some users will need to select which model of shoe they own. Note: you can locate the shoe model by looking on the tongue of the shoe. If you are not prompted to select your shoe model, it will be auto-detected. Tap "Continue" to complete set-up.
Troubleshooting Connection Issues
If you're having issues getting your shoes to connect to the app, review the troubleshooting tips below:
- Verify that you're running the latest version of the MapMy app by checking the Google Play store or iOS App Store for an update.
- Move away from other Connected Footwear (at least 20 ft. away).
- Set your right shoe flat for 5 seconds, then move your shoe down onto its side.
- Double check that your network connection is strong (Wi-Fi or cellular). A network connection is required for pairing.
- Navigate to your phone's Bluetooth settings and forget the shoes from your list of remembered devices, if present.
- From Settings, toggle Bluetooth settings off, then on again (note: for iOS users, do not do this by swiping up on your iPhone to access the control center. Please visit your phone's settings and toggle from the Bluetooth settings page)
- For Android users, please check your phone's settings to make sure Location is enabled for the MapMy app. To enable, please go to your phone's Settings > Application Manager > MapMyRun > Permissions > Location > Enabled. If location isn't enabled, the Bluetooth technology will not find your shoes in the scanning process.
- Re-open the MapMy app and reattempt connection, making sure your shoes are nearby (within 4 ft).
If you're still having issues with connection, let us know by submitting a support ticket within the app. Requests submitted in app contain additional information that can help our engineers to diagnose your issue. To submit a request, open your MapMy app > navigate to the app's menu > scroll to the bottom and select "Help" > tap "Contact Support " > describe the issue and submit. One of our agents will be in touch with you shortly!
Mandatory Firmware Update
Once you've established connection, the app will prompt you to perform a firmware update. This update is mandatory and should be completed before working out with the shoes. It should take between 1 to 5 minutes to complete. To begin the firmware update, tap "Continue."
Important tips for a successful firmware update:
- Keep your phone and shoe close together (less than 12 inches apart)
- Keep the app in the foreground on your phone (in other words, do not navigate away to another app during the update)
- Make sure your phone has a strong WiFi connection
If the firmware update fails, double check tips above and then tap "Retry" to immediately re-attempt the update.
If you're still having issues with completing the update, let us know by submitting a support ticket within the app. Requests submitted in app contain additional information that can help our engineers to diagnose your issue. To submit a request, open your MapMy app > navigate to the app's menu > scroll to the bottom and select "Help" > tap "Contact Support " > describe the issue and submit. One of our agents will be in touch with you shortly!
Running with UA Connected Footwear
Once you’ve paired your shoes and updated the firmware, you are now ready to record a workout!
To start a run using the shoes and app, open your MapMy app, and make sure the Track Workout screen has a red bar across the top and check mark next to the shoe icon.
If your Track Workout screen is missing either of those indicators, that means your shoes are not connected. Follow the tips outlined here to reconnect your shoes to the app.
Make sure that the correct activity type is selected prior to beginning your workout. The shoes are meant to record any type of run (indoor or outdoor); however, you'll need to select "Treadmill Run," for example, in order for indoor workouts to be recorded properly.
To change activity types, tap the gear icon in the upper right > tap "See More Activities" > tap "All" > tap the search bar > type your desired activity type and tap to select it. Note that this will remain your activity type for future workouts until changed by you.
Once ready, tap the "Start Workout" button and get moving!
Can I run without my phone?
Yes, please see our Help Center article to learn more about this feature and what to expect when running untethered.
Can I connect the shoes to a different MapMy app?
Yes, the shoes are compatible with the latest versions of all MapMy apps, including: MapMyFitness, MapMyWalk, MapMyRide, and MapMyHike. The shoes are not compatible with UA Record, MyFitnessPal, or Endomondo at this time.
When do I redeem the MVP benefits that accompany my purchase of UA Connected Footwear?
As soon as you pair your UA Connected Footwear to your MapMy application, MVP features, such as Live Tracking and Coaching, should be unlocked within the app. To learn more about what features are included with MVP, check out the linked Help Center article.
No MVP? Please submit a support request and one of our agents will be in touch soon. To submit a request, open your MapMy app > navigate to the app's menu > tap "Help" > "Contact Support" > describe the issue and submit.