You can now connect your UA Connected Footwear to your Apple Watch!
There are two ways to record workouts with our app and your Apple Watch: tethered and untethered. Please note that our Apple Watch app requires watchOS 5 or newer.
Tethered = Phone + Watch
Workouts are started from the phone and the phone is kept with you while recording. Your stats will mirror from your phone onto your watch. Follow the instructions in this link to connect your shoes directly to the phone app for these workouts.
Untethered = Watch Only
Workouts are started from the watch directly and your phone can be left behind. Follow the instructions below to connect your shoes directly to the app on your watch for these workouts.
In order to connect your HOVR shoes to your Apple Watch for untethered use, you will need to have paired them to the phone app at least once in the past. If this is your first time connecting your shoes, you can learn how to do this by following the steps outlined in our HOVR help center article here.
Once you've paired your shoes to the MapMy app on your phone, you can then connect your shoes directly to the Apple Watch app by doing the following:
- If open, force quit the MapMy app on your phone to help ensure your shoes connect to the watch.
- Open the MapMy app on your Apple Watch.
- Select your activity type.
- Gently tap or shake your right shoe to awaken the sensor and wait for confirmation that your shoes have connected.
- When actively connected, the shoe icon will appear green.
Please note that your shoes will disconnect should your watch screen turn off prior to beginning a recording. If this happens, your shoes will attempt to reconnect automatically the next time you unlock or awaken it. During an active workout recording, your shoes will remain connected even if the screen turns off.
Real-Time Form Coaching is the latest feature built for Connected Footwear. Follow the steps below to get started.
- Launch the watch app and select a running activity type.
- Once your shoes have successfully connected, tap the settings gear.
- Scroll down to the Coaching section to toggle Form Coaching off/ on. Select Form Options to toggle Voice or Haptic Form Coaching alerts off/ on.
- Once you begin your recording, swipe up or down twice to access the Target Range screen for your cadence.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is distance recorded when my shoes are connected to the Apple Watch app?
When recording with your shoes connected directly to the Apple Watch app, we utilize the shoes to calculate distance. If your shoes disconnect for any reason the app will default back to using either GPS (Series 2 or newer watches) or the accelerometer (Series 1 or earlier watches) to measure and record your distance.
Will I get a map of my route when my shoes are connected to my watch?
Watches that are Series 1 or older do not have GPS capabilities and will not be able to create maps. Series 1 and earlier watch users can try the tethered experience detailed above in order to get a map.
Series 2 or newer watches will create a map of your activities route with GPS.
How do I change the stats that are displayed during my workout?
Display stats cannot be customized with the Apple Watch app just yet.
Will I see extra stats when my shoes are connected to my Apple Watch?
Your watch will display additional stats if your shoes are connected directly to the watch. These additional stats include both stride length and cadence.
If you started your workout by using the MapMy app on your phone, you will not see stride or cadence on the watch at this time. You must start the workout from the Apple Watch directly in order to view these stats in-workout.
Why is the app audio coming from my watch speakers and not my headphones?
When starting recordings from the watch app, the headphones need to be connected directly to the watch.
When starting recordings from the phone, the headphones need to be connected directly to the phone.
How do I know if my shoes are connected to my watch?
The shoe icon will blink when a connection attempt is being made.
Green means your shoes are actively connected.
Gray means your shoes are disconnected
A red 'x' means your shoes cannot be found.
What can I do if I see the red 'x' and my shoes cannot be found?
Ensure you've connected your shoes to the phone app at least once before. If you have never connected your shoes to the phone app, you won't be able to connect them to the watch app.
If you've connected your shoes to your phone in the past and are still having trouble:
- Force quit the MapMy app on your phone to help prevent the shoes from reconnecting there instead of your watch
If you continue to have issues, try the following:
- Disable Bluetooth on your phone by visiting your phone settings. Do not disable by swiping up to reveal the control panel
- Quit and relaunch the MapMy app on your Apple Watch
- Attempt to connect
If you have any other questions or issues connecting, please submit a support request and one of our agents will be in touch soon.